Why do I need to See a Gynecologist?
Every woman needs regular gynecology visits from the first signs of puberty until after menopause is installed. As general gynecology practitioner in Barrie, Ontario, Dr. Fefelova can ensure complete care for women of all ages. If you are unsure about when you need to set an appointment, this short guide will help you.
Regular gynecologist visits
Make an appointment with your gynecologist in Barrie, Ontario for:
- Your first exam: when you notice the first signs of puberty, get your first menstruation or have your first sexual contact, you should make an appointment to see your gynecologist. Your first visit should definitely happen before the age of 21.
- Yearly or bi-annual visits: until the age of 40, yearly visits are enough especially if you don’t have any alarming symptoms or don’t plan to have any children. Symptoms that require bi-annual visits are: changes in your period, pain or irritation in the vaginal areas, breast lumps. After 40 years old, in the peri-menopausal period, women should see their gynecologist in Barrie, Ontario twice a year.
- Your last visit: after menopause installs, women should see they gynecologist more often. However, if after 70 years old you have a clean history of pap-smears, breast scans and no new sexual partners, you can stop seeing your gynecologist.
Other gynecologist visits
Set up an appointment with Dr. Fefelova, your gynecologist in Barrie, Ontario immediately if:
- You notice changes in your period: if you stop getting your period, see your gynecologist immediately. It may mean that you are pregnant or that you are experiencing hormonal imbalances. Also, if your flow changes a lot, you have irregular periods or experience more pain than usual, set up an appointment as soon as possible.
- You suspect you might be pregnant: even if have a no-complications pregnancy, you should still be under medical supervision. Certain tests performed on all pregnant women can save you or your baby’s life, so don’t delay your first check-up any more.
- You notice irregular bleeding: if you experience bleeding that is not related to your period (like bleeding during or after intercourse), see your gynecologist immediately, as it can be an indication of cervix injury, uterine polyps, fibroids or even uterine or cervical cancer. Ig you are pregnant and experience bleeding, see your gynecologists or go to an emergency room right away!
- Vaginal pain or discomfort: pain, itchiness or another type of discomfort are all signs that you need to see your doctor as soon as possible. They could be the first symptoms of a urinary tract infection, a yeast infection or a sexual transmitted disease.
If you need a gynecologist in Barrie, Ontario for an emergency or for a routine check-up, don’t hesitate to call Dr. Fefelova’s clinic! Expertise, customer care and absolute discretion are only a few of the values that our patients benefit from every day!